It’s one thing to have a blog for your business, but having a content strategy for your blog is what ultimately separates the good blogs from the great ones. Most experts believe that a written content strategy can almost double the effectiveness of your blog. Here are some tips from a Denver website design company on how to create a content strategy for your blog.
Step 1: Define Your Goals
Knowing your “why” is an essential part of coming up with a successful content strategy. Author and speaker Simon Sinek devoted an excellent TED talk about the power of why. Ask yourself the following questions to help determine your goals for your blog.
- Do you want to drive foot traffic to your place of business?
- Do you want to increase sales or generate leads?
- Do you want to educate prospects and customers about what you do?
- Do you want to attract local customers—or customers from outside of your geographical region?
- Do you want to build a brand?
Pick just two or three objectives for your blog to keep it focused.
Be specific about your goals. Rather than just saying “increase traffic to my website,” a better goal would be “increase traffic to my website by 20 percent.”
Step 2: Develop Topic Ideas and Targeted Keywords
Keywords are an essential component of an effective blog content strategy. If you don’t focus on keywords, you’ll have a hard time getting consistent traffic to your site. Although it sounds complicated, using targeted keywords to improve your blog comes down to two basic steps:
- Find relevant keywords that you can rank for by finding high-search volume words that have lower competition. These often include long-tail keywords.
- Write good blog content that incorporates these main keywords in the title, body, subheads, and image alt text. Don’t make the mistake of overstuffing your content with these keywords. Three to seven times in the entire post is adequate.
Having the appropriate keywords will be helpful in enabling you to come up with appropriate blog topics.
Step 3: Create a Content Calendar
Having a content calendar will help you stay on track to ensuring that you always have good content that is published regularly. A great content calendar gives you a good overview of your strategy and makes it easier to stay on track with topics and deadlines. There are some excellent tools available to keep you organized: Try an app such as Trello or Google Calendar if you are okay with a simple setup. If you want a fully dedicated calendar with some bells and whistles designed to help you grow your blog, something CoSchedule could be helpful.
Now: Assemble Great Content
These should be your goals for every piece of content you create:
- Well-researched content (stats, examples, and case studies show you’ve done your homework)
- Well-written content (use an app such as Grammarly to ensure your grammar and spelling are on point)
- Media-rich content (relevant images and/or videos)
- Well-formatted content (plenty of headers, bulleted lists, and the like to make it easy to skim)
Need help with your blog? Contact
Denver website design company Omnia Marketing today!